Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Self Portrait Challenge - Fire

Self Portrait Challenge for July - "Elements: Water - Air - Earth - Fire"


I had a small crop of tomatoes from my garden, and since I'm the only one in this house who likes them in salad, I decided to make some salsa! Above, you see me fire-roasting a jalapeno pepper, after which I also fire-roasted the tomatoes. I peeled & substituted them for the canned tomatoes & the boiled peppers in the recipe.

This salsa recipe from my friend Laura has just the right kick & flavor.
Thank you, Laura :)
Try some yourself!

Laura's Salsa

1-28 oz. can whole tomatoes
1-4oz. can diced green chilies
1 bunch cilantro
1 bunch green onions
2 cloves garlic
3 jalapanoes

Cut up whole tomatoes in bowl, and beforehand drain the juice into a blender. Add diced green chilies and green onions to the the tomatoes. Boil the jalapanoes and add TWO only into the blender with the juice and add the 2 cloves. Blend well and then add the cilantro bunch(with the stems chopped off) and pulse until chopped like you like. Add the blender mixture to the tomatoes. Salt to taste. Taste the salsa and chop up the third pepper if it's too mild. If it's too hot, than you can add fresh tomatoes to cut the heat.


1 comment:

Melanie Margaret said...

This recipe sounds yummy...surely worth the work.