Tuesday, August 21, 2007

for the love of citrus



I went to the pool with my girls today, and I found myself watching them play while I peeled and ate a chilled clementine. A few days ago, I was delighted to find these sweet & juicy gems has returned by the boxful at my local warehouse club, and I promptly snatched up a case. We will eat every single one, I assure you. I don't really care for regular oranges, mind you, but these little beauties are everything you wish an orange would be - sweet, extra juicy, easy to peel, and the pith doesn't leave a bitter taste in your mouth.



I have had a long love for citrus flavors - my favorite drink to order at a restaurant as a child was orange soda - does anyone else remember Orange Sprite?? Sigh... I'm not a big fan of regular iced tea, but give me a plate full of lemon wedges to squeeze in there, and I'm happy! I also love my Lemon Zinger tea in the winter, and my favorite part about the State Fair or Six Flags is the Soft Frozen Lemonade!!




And my favorite of all is the often mis-understood lime. It is, of course, my favorite color, which gives it an extra edge on its citrus cousins. It's flavor is more complex than a lemon, which is why I like to request lime wedges for my water at restaurants (plus, then I do not end up with lemon seeds stuck in my straw). I absolutely love key lime pie and cheesecake. And right now in my shower, I have the most wonderful shower gel from Bath & Body Works - Coconut Lime Verbena.

Now, combine citrus with chocolate, and the pleasure is surely more than I can describe...

No comments: