Thursday, January 3, 2008

Tool Bliss

Cooking is fun for me, and I especially I love tools that make it easier. I just bought this Mix n'Chop from a Pampered Chef party before Christmas, and used it for the first time tonight. I could not believe how much easier it was to brown the ground meat! I mean, really really easy! The pieces were nice and tiny, and browned up in less time than when I used a regular wooden spoon.




And of course, I can't leave you without a recipe to try it with:



Mexican "Lasagne"

12 corn tortillas
1 lb. ground beef
1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
1 (12 oz.) can black beans
1 (12 oz.) can petite diced tomatoes
1 (6 oz.) tomato sauce
1 (4 oz.) can green chiles
1 Tbsp. chile powder
1 tsp. garlic powder
salt & pepper to taste
3 cups shredded cheddar cheese

Spray non-stick spray on a 9x13 baking pan.
Tear up the tortillas into 1-2" pieces, spread 1/3 of the pieces to cover the bottom of the baking pan. I gave my 7 year old this job, she had fun!

Brown the ground beef & onion. In a large mixing bowl, combine the beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce, chiles & spices. Add the browned meat mixture. Stir until mixed.

Spread 1/2 the meat mixture over the tortillas in the baking pan. Top with 1 c. of the cheese. Continue layering: 1/3 tortillas, 1/2 meat, 1c. cheese, 1/3 tortillas, 1 c. cheese.

Loosely cover with foil, bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until cheese is melted.



No comments: