Tuesday, February 14, 2012

cookies & cream

Every year when my girls' birthdays roll around, I remind them that I am not a cake decorator, so they better choose their cake based on flavor, not appearance. For instance, one year, one of them asked for a rainbow on their cake - I used rows of colored M&M's to create said rainbow atop her cake. That's as good as it gets here, people.

This year, Claire asked for Cookies & Cream Cake, with Cookies & Cream ice cream on the side. Be still my heart.


cookies & cream cake


I love this cake! It is easy to make, tastes fantastic, and if I may say so, it is a showstopper - my best looking cake that I make. And here I am, sharing it with you, so that if you're a non-decorator like me, you can still WOW them!



Cookies & Cream Cake

1 pkg. Oreo cookies
1 pkg. white cake mix
1 c. water
1/2 c. oil
3 eggs
2 cups whipping cream OR 1 12oz. tub of Cool Whip

Reserve 16 Oreos in a bag or container where your kids won't get to them and eat them. Process the remaining cookies in the food processor to make medium/coarse crumbs.

Preheat the oven to 350.

Mix the cake mix, water, oil & eggs with an electric mixer for 30 seconds, scrape the bowl, then 2 min. on medium. Stir in ONE cup of the Oreo crumbs. Divide between 2 9-inch cake pans, bake for 28 to 32 minutes (until toothpick comes out clean). Cool 10 minutes, remove from pans, cool completely.

In a chilled bowl, beat the whipping cream for 2 1/2-3 minutes, until stiff peaks form. (Of course, skip this if you're using Cool Whip, move on to the next step). Gently fold in the rest of the Oreo crumbs, chill until the cake has cooled completely.

Fill & frost the cake with the whipped cream. Garnish with the 16 reserved cookies. Store this cake in the refrigerator.


Pin It

No comments: