Sunday, June 29, 2008

Summer Reading Groupies

**this is a sticky post - it's going to be at the top for a while to give everyone a chance to see - please scroll past this post to read new posts**

I decided that since I expend so much effort on helping my kids with the library's summer reading program, that I would also set a reading goal for myself for the summer. Since when did we outgrow the need to read? Just because we are not children does not mean reading is no longer important to our intelligence or our expanding view of the world around us. Why do we allow ourselves to be so busy that we don't take a little time to grow our minds by delving into the pages of a good read?

So here it is: I'm going to complete 3 books this summer. This is a tall order with our pending move in July. I may or may not make this goal, but I'm certainly going to try!

So join me, won't you? Set a goal for yourself! Maybe it's just to finish a book you've already started, or even read a magazine you've had sitting on your side table. Or perhaps you have more lofty goals than I - 5 books? 10? We'll do it together, sharing about what we're reading as we go, and we can party at the end of August by sharing our completed goals!


Grab the logo & add it to your blog to show you're partipating, and link back to this post so others can join! Post a comment here to let others here know you're participating, so we can come read your Summer Reading posts as well! Invite your friends... the more, the merrier!




It wouldn't be a Summer Reading Program without a prize! On August 31st, I'll draw a name from all participants who post on this thread, and I'll send that winner their own "Anna" bookmark, hand crocheted by me! And if you want to add a prize, post it on your blog, and let me know so I can add it here.

Thank you so much to 5 Minutes For Mom for mentioning the Summer Reading Groupies!

5M4M is a great blog run by Janice & Susan, twin WAHM's with great shops of their own, plus they help promote other WAHM businesses. Check out their sites!

-----------------------------------------


my book share:

I'll start by sharing about what I am currently reading: Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. I have an affinity for classics and this one has not disappointed me. It was written in 1847, yet I have been struck by bit after bit of timeless wisdom.


This first quote amazed me in it's forward thinking for the time, in an age when women's lives were somewhat small.

"Women are supposed to be very calm generally. But women feel just as men feel: they need exercise for their faculties, and a field for their efforts, as much as their brothers do; they suffer from too rigid a restraint, too absolute a stagnation, precisely as men would suffer; and it is narrow-minded in their more privileged fellow-creatures to say that they ought to confine themselves to making puddings and knitting stockings, to playing on the piano and embroidering bags. It is thoughtless to condemn them, or laugh at them, if they seek to do more or learn more than custom has pronounced necessary for their sex."


And here is the second, "A thought well-thought"...

"Feeling without judgment is a washy draught indeed; but judgment untempered by feeling is too bitter and husky a morsel for human deglutition"

(I had to look deglutition up: the act or process of swallowing)

21 comments:

amelia said...

Oh I love that last quote, so true!

I will attempt this! LOL it sounds great, but you may well be shocked by the books I am reading this summer. I'm on a mission to read a series I was recommended by a friend I have found myself quite caught up in it. :o)

Amelia

Rebekah said...

Reading what you enjoy means you're reading, Amelia, so no shock here - just glad you're doing it! ;)

Anonymous said...

I'm certainly in! (I saw your post on Ribbon Rock Star's blog.) I'm a book junkie but am finding that summer is slowing my progress, odd...I know.

I love the quotes you posted, especially that second one.

Anonymous said...

A friend sent me the link to the Triple 8 Challenge: http://triple8challenge.blogspot.com/ Basically reading 8 books in each of 8 categories in 2008. Which seemed like a tremendous thing, and which my husband and I have been working our way through. He admitted to me recently that he had purchased one book to read because it was "short." I am having a lot of fun with it, but there really needs to be more spaces in the "Fiction" category...

Thanks for stopping by my blog - I love your clothes. They are lovely.

erin said...

I'm in! I'm not a big reader. although I wish I was as I used to be, maybe this will get me started again!

Ivy Bend said...

Only three books? In the summer, I average one a week--usually read on the weekends. It used to be more, but ... life gets complicated.

Today I bought Karen MacInerney's 2nd Gray Whale Inn book, Dead and Berried. (I like to read cozy mysteries.) I also bought an HGTV curb appeal book. I'll have fun with that one tonight. My to-be-read pile has about 15 books in it right now. I can't wait for the weekend to read another one.

couture*4*my*cutie said...

Oh, this sounds fun. I will participate, but I will probably only commit to one book! Hey, I have a newborn and two other children, if I read one book in 3 months I will feel like I accomplished something! Not sure which book I will read yet, but I am leaning toward the latest Margaret George book I got for Christmas. It is pretty much like 3 books, since it is about 1000 pages long!

~Michelle

Marianne said...

This sounds like fun! I discovered your blog via Boutiques Buyers blog and love it! Thanks for this great idea and great challenge.

Anonymous said...

Oh gosh...so tempting. I have a HARD time sitting down to read while 5 kids are unraveling my world...lol Can I read a receipe??? lol I`ll give it a try ...maybe a trip to the library is in order!!

Laurie

Anonymous said...

Hi! I just found your blog. I love the Tessa Capri's you make. Just adorable. Count me in to the summer reading groupies! I just finished reading The Phantom Tollbooth for the first time (previewing it for my soon to be fifth grader) It is such a wonderful book-- I can't believe I'm just now discovering it. I am also reading The Ultimate Gift, which is really a quick read. I love to read and that's why blogs are so much fun. I just started mine up again after many months. I am just too busy with life and reading other peoples' fantastic blogs. Thanks for hosting this summer reading groupies!

angela said...

Count me in! Thanks for the motivation. I'm aiming for 3 books. I just finished one so I won't count that one. I'll have to choose a book quickly so I can get started. Oh, and I'm loving the Anna bookmark, so beautiful.

Anonymous said...

I'm going to have a go too. Great blog btw, I'm new here.

Art by Ronda Juniper Ray said...

You inspired me to dig out my favorite book of all time, Zane Grey's Call of the Canyon!

No book is more sweetly evocative of the 1920s "wild west", and his scenic passages truly transport you to the at once rugged and searing yet beautiful and soul-restoring grandeur of the desert and canyons. You can truly see them in your mind's eye as you reading.

Your sweet little girl designs are always so fresh and inspirational!

shelli said...

I haven't blogged this summer but I just received my newest book purchase, Counselor, by Ted Sorensen, speech writer for JFK. I love history but never read books about it, I usually stick to Internet research but I love this book more than any fiction or novel which I read most.

Learning about the decade before I was born and my fave Pres. should be fun. I usually rush through but I'm savoring every word of this one.

Kristen said...

oh count me in! I LOVE to read & this will inspire me to read even more ;)

Umā said...

thanks for stopping by my blog! i hope it is not too late to join the rest of the summer reading groupies. i am just finishing up my second book of the summer and am looking forward to working through the pile i've been stacking up for almost a year now. sharing will inspire me to keep going with it!

Vanessa said...

I'm in too! My goal is 3 books. I wonder if Amelia is reading something by Anne Rice? Heh. Been there, done that. I'm reading a 'Cat Who...' book. A children's (chapter)book. I know that is too easy, but they're good. But the last is to finish Stephen Hawkins 'The Universe in a Nutshell'. Way heavy-duty physics to balance it out! Have fun everyone!

Anonymous said...

I came over via a link from M. Heart. Count me in! I'm so glad you are enjoying Jane Eyre. It is one of my all time favorites.

lisa said...

oh I am SO in! I am so glad you thought of this. I fondly remember the pride and joy I felt getting a hole punched in my Summer Reading card for each book I completed as a kid. some years I had to have more than one card. thanks for doing this.

erinz said...

Count me in! I just started reading John Steinbeck's East of Eden. I love JS and am reconnecting with his work (last time I read anything of his was in college). I also plan to read JS Tortilla Flat. Thanks for starting this!

Anonymous said...

hi! i found your blog through erin at the vintage pearl. i'm going to try this reading thing!! i totally miss setting aside more time to escape into a book. i'm currently reading "the shack". very interesting read, indeed. thanks for the inspiration....

Allyson =)