Thursday, August 28, 2008

share what you read this summer!



Welcome, welcome - all my Summer Reading Groupies friends! Now that the kids are back in school, and Labor Day weekend is almost here, summer is drawing to a close, and it's time to share what we read this summer. To join in, leave a comment about your reading goals & what you accomplished, or feel free to post on your blog and leave a comment with the link to your summer reading wrap-up post.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

When I started with my goal of 3 books for the summer, I had no idea I would end up reading as much as I did, especially with the move from our house into this apartment. But I guess apartment living and poolside relaxation allowed more reading than I thought possible. I blasted past my 3 book goal, and I'm still going - thank goodness for the library!

Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte
Anne Frank, The Diary of A Young Girl - Anne Frank
Sam's Letters For Jennifer - James Patterson
Suzanne's Diary For Nicholas - James Patterson
Miracle on the 34th Green - James Patterson
And The Shofar Blew - Francine Rivers
Sundays At Tiffany's - James Patterson & Gabrielle Charbonnet
Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen

I used the
Random Number Generator to draw the winner of the bookmarker (made by me!): post #9 - Laurie of Kandy Kisses Boutique! Congratulations, Laurie! Send me an email so I can mail your prize to you!

I also started participating in 5 Minutes For Books' Classics Reading Club, which is what spurred me to read Pride and Prejudice. More on that to be posted later!

I had fun, and I can't wait to read about what you have been reading!

7 comments:

erinz said...

I had a goal to read 3 books as well, but happily read more than that.
East of Eden & The Wayward Bus, The Secret Life of Bees, The Hiding Place, The Persian Pickle Club, Love & Logic (parenting teens), The Night Listener & A Wolf at the Table.

erinz said...

I forgot to add: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night.

Anonymous said...

I had a goal to read 7 and didn't quite get that far. I did read Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult, Inkheart by Cornelia Funke, Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer and I'm about halfway through Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson. I highly recommend Nineteen Minutes though it's not for the faint of heart, Inkheart was very good but a slow tedious read and was a hard one to get into after Nineteen Minutes, Breaking Dawn was fun and a fast read. So far Speak is proving to be very interesting and a bit of a gut twister as a mom and teacher.

I have quite the to read list going and will be pillaging through more throughout the winter. :D

lisa said...

hooray for summer reading! I conquered:

the gathering, by anne enright;
consequences, by penelope lively;
when you are engulfed in flames, by david sedaris; swimming toward the ocean, by carole glickfeld; and the alchemist, by paulo coelho.

of the five, I recommend sedaris and the alchemist.

Umā said...

i have fond memories of laying in the warm grass reading...
• the road, by cormac mccarthy
• the end of the world as we know it: scenes from a life, by robert goolrick and
• an arsonist's guide to writers' homes in new england, by brock clarke. i am still working through a fourth book, the spontaneous fulfillment of desire by deepak chopra.

i did a long post tonight with a brief description and excerpt from each book!

angela said...

I liked having some external motivation to read more this summer...read more for me, that is. Although my original intention was to read for the sake of entertainment and pleasure I ended up reading for the sake of learning, which I rediscovered is quite pleasureable.
I read...
A Better Photo Guide to Digital Nature Photography by Jim Miotke
Sew U by Wendy Mullin
A is for Apron by Nathalie Mornu
Women's Complete Guide to Running by Jeff & Barbara Galloway
I've also read scads of magazine articles and mountains of children's books to my girls. But all in all this was a summer of learning new things through the joy of reading.
Thanks Rebekah...that was fun!

Anonymous said...

I finally posted my list. I don't think the summer is over until the solstice, so I may still get a few in there before then!
Here's what I've read:
http://www.themetaphoricalmagpie.com/2008/09/summer-reading.html