Sunday, September 7, 2008

Pancakes

I have altered the pancake recipe from my cookbook quite a few times, until I found the very best combination of 100% whole grain with lightness & fluffiness...

A little trick I learned from my mom - if you don't have any buttermilk (or sour milk), before you do get out any other ingredients, pour 1 Tbsp. vinegar into a liquid measuring cup, and then pour in your regular milk to the measurement you need for the recipe (up to 2 cups). Then go about getting your ingredients, measuring, stirring, etc. By the time you need to add the milk to your batter, it will be soured up nicely and do the same job as the buttermilk.



Whole Grain Buttermilk Pancakes

2 eggs
1 1/4 c. whole wheat flour
3/4 c. dry oatmeal
1 1/2 c. buttermilk
2 Tbsp. sugar
2 Tbsp. unsweetened applesauce
2 Tbsp. baking powder

In a large bowl, beat the eggs. Add the remaining ingredients, stirring until just smooth (lumps are ok! too much stirring makes the pancakes heavy!)

I like to use a spring-loaded cookie scoop or a 1/3 c. measuring cup to scoop batter into the hot griddle to cook.

Cook until puffed with bubbles popping in the center, and dry around the edges. Flip and cook the other side until golden.

Makes anywhere from 10 huge pancakes to 20+ small ones.

1 comment:

Cris said...

This buttermilk trick works great... we cannot find buttermilk here so I always have to adapt my recipes and use this trick!