Monday, October 26, 2009

apple crisp..... in the slow cooker!

Every autumn, I like to buy a big bag of Granny Smiths and make a few tasty apple treats. This year, I've found a new recipe that I've fallen head over heels for - it cooks in the crock pot!

Start it in the early afternoon, and you'll have a warm, cinnamon-y finish for dinner.

apple crisp




Slow Cooker Apple Crisp

4 large Granny Smith (or other baking) apples - cored & sliced
1 c. water
3 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. allspice

Mix this together, spread evenly over the bottom of the slow cooker.

3/4 c. dry oatmeal
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. flour
1/4 c. butter @ room temperature

Combine the dry ingredients, then cut in the butter with two forks or pastry cutter until crumbly. Sprinkle over the top of the apples in the slow cooker.

Cover, cook on low for 2-3 hours or high for 1 hr.
Serve with whipped cream or ice cream for an extra treat!

5 comments:

Jade said...

That sounds and looks delicious! Thanks for sharing :)

Joanne said...

Oh, yum! I am going to the grocery store today. I will add the apples to my list.

TheCatLord said...

you just answered a little prayer for me! since we moved into this house i have been without an oven and have missed out on the things we like to bake in the fall; cookies, apple crisps, and pumpkin bread have all been put on hold. but now i can have apple crisp!! thank you!!!
will be making this today!

Audra said...

Oh man, I have to make this! With all the craziness of our day, things that can be put together in the morning are a blessing. Thanks!

NJenn said...

This is one of my favorite desserts ever. I just love, love, love apple crisp. This one sounds delicious... with the caramel and vanilla... mmm!