Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Pumpkin + Streusel = The Best Pumpkin Cake Ever

Thumbing through a baking catalog recently, I saw a mix for a Pumpkin Streusal Tunnel Cake... of course, I thought to myself, "I could make that without a mix!" and went looking for a recipe.

And oh, did I find a recipe - a really, really good recipe, which I am about to share with you - here on food.com.


pumpkin streusel tunnel

This is half of the batter, with the "tunnel" of streusel around the center, before the other half of the batter was poured on top.


This was a fantastic cake, we ate a fourth of it before lunch, before I could make the glaze! Ended up not making the glaze since it was so good without it. This cake is not too heavy, not too pumpkin-y, just the right balance of spices and sweetness.


pumpkin streusel cake


I substituted 1/2c applesauce for 1/2c of the butter, and I used plain yogurt instead of the sour cream, to significantly reduce the fat. I was very pleased with the results... so delicious!


pumpkin streusel slice


Now I'm trying to decide if I want to make this cake again, or finally make an autumn apple pie!

2 comments:

Nancy said...

Wow...it looks delicious...I must try this one.....Thanks for sharing the receipt...

Joanne said...

Oh, yummmm! That looks and sounds wonderful.