Tuesday, November 10, 2009

recent reads

I finished two books last week, both true life stories, both so different yet so enjoyable that I wanted to share.

First,
A Man Called Peter
by Catherine Marshall





I've recently discovered Catherine Marshall's writings, and she has quickly become one of my heroes of faith. Her gentle way of writing is not soft on the message. She is clear and thoughtful, always well-grounded in the Word of God, and attuned with His Spirit.

A Man Called Peter is about her first husband, Peter Marshall - his life and ministry. This book was a bit slow at times, but it was written a long time ago, when people did not need sensationalism to guide them through a book, just a well-written story. I took it slow (started it in May), and found I enjoyed it more in small chunks anyway.

'~+~'~+~'~+~'~+~'~+~'~+~'~+~'~+~'~+~'~+~'~+~'~+~'


My Life in France
by Julia Child




After seeing Julie & Julia, I thought it would be fun to read the book by the blog writer that inspired the movie. However, after reading the reviews, I decided to skip that book because it didn't sound like something I would enjoy. One reviewer recommended that if you enjoyed the movie, My Life in France would give you more of what you loved in the movie. Oh joy when I discovered it at my library!

This book was a delight, cover to cover. Until reading this, I have never enjoyed an autobiography or biography so much that I did not want to put it down. Julia Child was so in love with food, down-to-earth people, and her husband. I felt like I was listening to her talk, not reading sentences on a page. Her use of words which she just made up to fit the situation - brilliant. Her outlook on life - simple and real.

She taught me a great lesson as a cook that I will never forget:

No matter how something you make turns out,
Never Apologize!
Learn from your mistakes, and hold your head high.


'~+~'~+~'~+~'~+~'~+~'~+~'~+~'~+~'~+~'~+~'~+~'~+~'

Take some time to read a good book this holiday season. It is a refreshing way to lower stress and grow at the same time.

2 comments:

Audra said...

I loved My Life in France!!! A man Called Peter sounds interesting. I'll have to look for that one!

TheCatLord said...

that sounds like a good book, i'll have to check that one out!