Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Hot Shredded Wheat

I grew up eating hot shredded wheat on cold days. For me, it is a comfort food because it is a taste of my childhood, as well as my beloved grandfather who passed the idea on to my mom and then to me.

Wheat gets a bad rap these days, but I tend to be more middle of the road about it. We eat it whole (not white) and interspersed through our diet with a variety of other grains (oats, rice, quinoa, etc.) We don't have digestive issues that require avoiding it, so I consider small amounts healthy.

And while you see a tiny bit of butter & sugar on this, you'll also notice the larger amounts of almonds & apples. You can add berries, other nuts, whatever suits your fancy. My daughter loves this one, too.





Hot Shredded Wheat Bowl

Press 1 large Shredded Wheat biscuit into a bowl, crushing it.
Pour 1/4 c. vanilla almond milk over the biscuit.
Spread 1 tsp. butter or Smart Balance on top of the biscuit.
Sprinkle on 1 tsp. dark brown sugar, 1 Tbsp. chopped almonds, 2-3 Tbsp. chopped apples.

Put the bowl in the microwave for 30 seconds to 1 minute on 80% power.
You know it's done when it's steaming and the biscuit is soft & collapsed.


When made with Smart Balance, this is a 200 calorie bowl.

No comments: