Friday, April 12, 2013

Making it healthier

I have a recipe for a delicious egg bake that I adore, but it is full of butter and cheese. The fat content plus the quantity that's large enough for a crowd makes it unsuited for every day breakfast.

So I came up with my own one-serving version.



Saute 1 Tbsp. finely chopped onion & 1 Tbsp. finely chopped red pepper in a skillet sprayed with nonstick spray over medium heat.

Mix 1 egg with 2 Tbsp. lowfat cottage cheese. Reduce heat to medium/low, pour the egg mixture in over the red peppers & onion. Roll pan to spread egg out into a circle. Cooking too hot will burn the cheese.

When the omelette is about half-set, sprinkle with 1 Tbsp. shredded cheddar cheese and use a spatula to fold in half.

Cook until fully set.

With the ingredients I used, this is 175 calories and tastes so much like the other egg bake that I may not ever need that old recipe again.

No comments: